Saturday, September 19, 2009

expectant hearts

I've never quite understood what it means to have an expectant heart. Before many services or times of worship, we are reminded to come before Him with an expectant heart. What does that even mean? How do I do that? Those are often my first concerns. I can tell myself that God is going to show up, but there is a disconnect somewhere between my mind and my heart. I can understand it intellectually, but in my heart, there is a sense of not truly believing or knowing.

I've wondered lately just what it means to have an expectant heart. And tonight while reading about Jesus retreating to the desert with the disciples at the time of Passover in John 11, a small connection was made about what it is to have an expectant heart.

The Jews were on their way to Jerusalem for a ceremonial cleansing before the Passover, and they kept looking for Jesus to arrive.
"They kept looking for Jesus, and as they stood in the temple area they asked one another, 'What do you think? Isn't he coming to the Feast at all?'" John 11:56
I saw myself on my way to class and looking for a familiar face in the crowd.

I suddenly realized that I need to transfer that expectancy to see a friend on campus to an expectancy or excitement of really encountering the Lord. What if I had such an excitement to allow him to lavish me with his love or dance over me or embrace me with his truth and peace in times of uncertainty and loneliness?
He'd probably blow me away in amazement.

No comments:

Post a Comment